Last year I was given the Cath Kidston Sew Book as a gift for my birthday. I must admit, I love the book and the designs within it; I probably flick through at least once a week. However, it wasn’t until last week that I actually made something from it! With the book, I got a little package of fabric (pre-cut), some buttons and a CK label. The pre-cut fabric was a lovely bonus, as this is the part of sewing that I despise! I can just never get it quite right with the cutting out!
The instructions for the bag were well labelled and short. Some were very straightforward but others were not. I got slightly confused when it came to attaching the facings as it wasn’t really clear as to which edge was the bottom edge of the fabric. I think that if you are completely new to sewing, you might get yourself into a few pickles…..as I almost did!
Rather than making button holes on the straps, I stitched them on to the side of the bag for added strength and added the buttons for decoration. If you decide to do this, make sure you have plenty of needles as I snapped 6 doing this part!! I was sewing through 6 layers of cotton duck so it was pretty thick. I tried a range of needles too but it snapped every one!
Anyway, I really like the finished product. It is a nice size; perfect for a purse and other essentials. I will make another one of these, perhaps adding a lining and divider next time.
Any views on this blog are my own 🙂