Recently I have had plenty of time to re-connect with some of my hobbies; mainly sewing and photography.
Back in the UK, I was a Primary School Teacher and absolutely loved my job! Ensuring that children enjoyed learning and had experienced different things was my passion. I liked to do alternative activities and worked in a school where everyone worked hard to provide all children with opportunities that would set them up for the future. As a teacher, I always found it hard to get the work/life balance right! When I did have spare time, I would be decorating our house, walking the dog or just relaxing! I know these are hobbies but there are other things that I love doing too; like sewing, photographing, blogging, crafting…..the list goes on!
For the last couple of weeks, I have fallen back into these hobbies and I LOVE it 🙂 There are so many ‘perks’ or ‘positives’ about sewing, so I thought I would list mine!
1) I love being able to make things upon request; pyjamas, sleeping masks, bags.
2) Finding bargain fabric means bargain creations…everyone loves a bargain!
3) Making/ designing my own clothes to fit me. I don’t have to worry about sizes, fit or cost…because all of that is down to me.
4) Connecting with other people who love sewing, whether it be at the fabric store, through blogs or other social media. Sharing projects is great!
5) My little creative mind is buzzing! I have so many projects in mind and I am excited about every one!
However, for everything that has ‘perks’, there are also some small ‘negatives’! These negatives will never stop me from sewing but I have to live with them. Adam has to live with some of them too!
1) Thread and fluff everywhere! Even though I have my own little sewing area, we are finding bits of thread in every room and on every other piece of fabric within the apartment! Whoops!
2) It is addictive! I can’t stop pinning, reading, researching and buying! I have said that I am going to try and go a full week without buying anything related to sewing :-/
3) Bias binding or Binding tape. I HATE IT. I like how it looks…on everyone else’s creations. I just can’t get it to go right. I have tried a few things in the past and it just doesn’t look good! I have recently made us some sleeping masks. One mask was finished with a top stitch, obviously I prefer this method. I tried to finish the other one with bias tape. The front didn’t look too bad but the back was awful! Really, if you don’t want to see awful finishing, don’t look at the fourth picture! I am sure that I will get it right one day!
So, what are your sewing ‘perks’? …. and what are your sewing ‘negatives’? It would be great to hear if anyone shares my hate for bias tape!!