Recently I have been spending many hours reading different sewing blogs. I came across a very interesting post; The Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge, courtesy of A stitiching Odyssey. I can’t lie, I loved the post but was a bit disheartened when I saw that it was posted back in February. I thought I was too late!! However, further reading made me find that Marie had pledged about using at least 5 of her Vintage patterns in 2014…and we are still in 2014…woohoo!! I can get involved.
So I pinched the button and realised that my first dress could be part of my very own pledge! I think it is a great idea to get involved in projects that other bloggers are doing. This little button on my blog also spurred me on to make the other dress from the 2 patterns that I bought from the antiques store a couple of weeks ago!
So here it is! The Butterick 3379 – 1970’s pattern!!
I needed to adjust the pattern for my hips and bust but apart from that the construction was pretty straightforward if you paid attention! Unfortunately, I did not pay enough attention and ended up cutting the pattern for the back at the tunic length, rather than at knee length! Luckily, I had enough material to sew in the extra on the bottom of the back piece, phew! This dress also had a yolk on the front. I have never come across this before and I found it OK. It looked easier than it was. I found the corners quite tricky so ended up with a little bit of extra material, hopefully this isn’t that noticeable!
Upon hemming the dress, I made it slightly shorter than suggested to suit me better. In doing this, I actually removed most of the extra bit that I had needed to put on the bottom at the back!
Very pleased with this. I love the length, the contrasting zipper and the little puffy sleeves!