I havent deviated from my plan yet! I am still working systematically through the Love At First Stitch book from Tilly Walnes. The next project in the book is the Megan dress. This is a dress that had appeared on my Twitter and Instagram feed quite a lot recently so I was really looking forward to making one for myself. I didn’t have any medium weight cottons in so chose firm woven polyester knits for both makes!
I love how this dress just came together. Nothing was a hassle and it just seemed to work. These are the projects that I LOVE! I cut all seam allowances down and overlocked. I’m using zips from my stash, so I chose to use quite a chunky zip rather than an invisible zip as recommended. Once I had inserted the zip, I tried it on and realised that I had made it far too short! I had held the pattern up to my body to determine the length and had decided to go for the shorter length…this probably wasn’t the best idea. I should have measured properly. Anyway, I wasn’t too disheartened as I knew it would make a nice long top.
Here I am, wearing it with thick grey tights which I don’t think looks too bad but I think I would prefer to wear it with skinny jeans. Apologies for these photos. Adam is as about as good as a chocolate fire guard when it comes to taking photos… I thought he was improving until I looked at these! They will have to do though because I won’t get the chance to take any myself for a while as my tripod has a dodgy leg!
I really liked making this first Megan, so I set off making a second with a tighter woven knit. I made this one a size smaller than the first and kept it the standard length. I think I may have traced the bodice slightly aft as my side seams didn’t match those of the skirt, so I ended up having a little tuck under each arm. As this was a very tightly woven fabric, the gathering stitches just wouldn’t pull together. These sleeves have 2 folds instead of gathers but I actually prefer them this way with this material.
I’m still having some trouble inserting zips. I chose to have ‘normal’ zips on both rather than buy invisible zips. On the pink dress, I stitched the full back seam and then inserted the zip, which meant that the fabric around the base of the zip looked uneven and I had put the zip too low! On the blue dress, I inserted the zip and then did the rest of the seam. This time I ended up with a small pucker to the left of the zip. I’m not 100% happy with either really but I know that the faults are hardly noticeable when the dresses are on.
I really liked the zip method I had used on a previous zippy top make so I might end up making another Megan and using that method instead. Overall though, I am really pleased with both of these and I predict that many more Megans will be made soon! 🙂