Last year I meant to get involved with Make Nine but completely forgot to put them together. Probably for the best really as I hardly sewed a thing. As I’ve got more time this year, I decided to give the #2018MakeNine a go. I do love this idea and I think it originally stemmed from Rochelle over at the Lucky Lucille/Home Row Fibre Co, whose blog I’ve been following for quite a while now. If you haven’t read it already, her blog post outlines the challenge really well and has some great questions to help you decide what you would like to make. I like the idea of the challenge as it holds me accountable and gives me a rough plan for the year. I also like that it’s not set in stone either. My plans may change or I may even make more, but for now it gives me a plan to follow.
Well, this week for us has been a homey one. It reached -7°c at one point, which is the coldest it’s been here in Alabama while I’ve lived here! There was also a ‘State of Emergency’ issued for the flu epidemic. We decided to stay at home all week and get cosy by the fire. Rosie and I spent most of the week in our loungewear!
A little while ago I shared some of my plans for baby related sewing projects. I had planned on trying to get at least one of each made before Rosie arrived but that didn’t quite go to plan with me being put on bedrest. Even though I started with the simplest make in terms of skill, I couldn’t sit at the sewing machine for any longer than 20 minutes at a time so it took me quite a while to make 6 sets.
I wanted to experiment with different fabric weight combinations and had a bunch of suitable fabric to test out. I had simple cotton flannel, terry knit jersey & polar fleece.
I used this pattern for the burp cloths and this one for the bibs. I had also read a few other tutorials to give me an idea of what fabrics would be the best for absorbency. I decided to pair 2 pieces of cotton flannel together and also flannel with a layer of quilting batting & jersey. I also combined the fleece with cotton flannel.
The construction was quite simple for both and I would definitely recommend both patterns if you are a sewing newbie. These were sewn right sides together, turned the right way round and then top stitched. Before turning, I used pinking shears to trim the seam allowance down. On the thickest set I trimmed the seam allowances differently on each fabric to reduce the bulk when they were turned the right way around.
It really does feel like such a long time since I last wrote a Sunday Sevens post but I’m starting the year as I plan to go on. Today’s post is a little bit of a catch up of little things from the last couple of months and in true tradition, it’s a day late!
It was my birthday back in December and Adam bought me a KitchenAid Stand Mixer. I’d been eyeing one up for a while and had heard a lot of great things about them. I’ve had a basic mixer for a while but as it was one from the UK, the voltage was different so it didn’t mix very well. I was very pleased to get this and it’s made baking so much quicker!
Happy New Year to everyone!
2017 ended a little differently for us this year as we became parents! At the end of October I was put on bedrest & given some medication to keep Rosie cooking for a little while longer. Once I came off the medication, she decided to come 2 weeks early and was born on the 20th November. She is just so precious and we are absolutely loving every moment with her…even the sleepless nights…sort of!
I’ve recently received another book from Blogging for Books to review. The great thing about Blogging for Books is that you get to choose the book you would like to review. I’ve had an Instant Pot for about 2 years now and have always loved it, so I thought it would be great to get The Essential Instant Pot Cookbook by Coco Morante. I am SO glad that I chose this book as it’s already been used quite a few times!