Corduroy, Cotton Lawn & Florals…Oh My!

So many shop updates!

But to be honest, it wasn’t quite planned like that.  In my organized mind, I had ordered products and arranged for deliveries every couple of weeks so that I could have a little stream of new products arriving for you all.

Working with vendors is completely new to me, so it’s taken me a couple of efforts to get used to delivery times.  Hurricane Sally blew in a couple of weeks ago and really threw a spanner in the works.  Some of our deliveries were delayed and some showed up early…which actually meant that a lot of new products arrived over two days rather than over 6 weeks! No complaints here because everything new is absolutely gorgeous but it’s taken me a minute to get everything listed.  If you want to go straight to all the lovely newness, click below.

First of all, a good stock of fabrics is now on the site; there’s a little bit of something for everyone.  
We got some gorgeous corduroy fabric in.  Its quite lightweight and not too stiff.  I feel like it still holds a little bit of drape all while having a light hand.  This would be perfect for a jacket, skirt, pants and even children clothing.  I’m thinking about making a couple of Poppy & Jazz Willow Pinafores for my daughter with it.  Maybe even a matching one for me too!

I also listed a beautiful collection from designer Marketa Stengl.  Marketa is a popular designer over on Spoonflower, but has recently partnered with a fabric distributor to release a small range of fabrics…these are at a nicer price point too! I just ordered 2 of each type to begin with as I wanted to have a feel at the quality before I ordered more.  There’s a double brushed poly knit fabric and a quilting weight cotton.  I am pleased to report that both are fantastic.  Check the designs out below.

There’s a few other fabrics that have been listed so definitely have a good explore over there.  There is only a few yards of the pink tie dye rib knit jersey left but I do still have plenty of the blue/grey version left.  Theres also a few great cottons from Lewis & Irene, and a small assortment from Monaluna.

In addition to fabric, I have also listed a few patterns from both Sew Over It and their Kid’s range, Poppy & Jazz.  There’s some new notions and a beautiful 30 day embroidery sampler kit too.

Just to finish off, I wanted to thank you for your support!  Your likes, shares, and orders all mean so much to me.  This little shop of mine has been in the pipeline for quite a while and I’m still in a little disbelief that I’ve managed to open it up, and during a pandemic at that!  

Don’t forget, you can still use coupon BLOGLAUNCH10 for 10% off your order until the 31st of October!

Thank you again, and have a great week!

Natalie
xx

Matching Outfits + Machine Appliqué

Last week, I blogged about some shorts that I had made up for a class, and of course for Rosie to wear afterwards. Now here in South Alabama, monogramming, embroidery and matching outfits are everything, and us being from the UK, tend to throw on whatever slightly matches and we’ll call it an outfit. Well, these shorts were just calling out to be made into matching sets and I really wanted to try some basic machine appliqué as I hadn’t done it for such a long time!

I bought some blank t-shirts for Rosie from a local boutique. These were a purchase where I thought that I could have probably made them but I just didn’t have the time to find the perfect t-shirt fabric, and wanted these to be completed in an afternoon. I want to show you how I created my appliqué designs on my regular sewing machine.

I started off by gathering my supplies. I printed my appliqué template shapes onto normal paper and pinned them to my transfer paper. The one I used was Pellon 805 Wonder-Under. I cut my shape out of the transfer paper.

I then placed my transfer paper onto my fabric. I made sure that the paper side was facing me and the adhesive side was on the fabric.

Using a low iron, I pressed over the transfer paper. This allows the adhesive to stick to the fabric and the paper stays on the template.

I then cut around my template so that I had my appliqué shape.

The paper part of the transfer paper then peels off, revealing some more adhesive. This is the adhesive that sticks the appliqué shape to the shirt.

I positioned my appliqué shape on the shirt and then used the iron on a low heat to stick it down to the shirt.

I also iron a little bit of stretch interfacing onto the inside of the t-shirt. This will sit behind the appliqué shape and add a tiny bit of extra reinforcement.

I changed my machine stitch to a basic zig zag and carefully stitched around the edge of my shape.

And there you go! The appliqué is nice and secure and matches perfectly with the shorts. I really think that this is a great little method to add something extra to those plain t-shirts. I know that I’ll be making many more of these.