Quick Quilts For Babies

We seem to have a few friends who have just had babies or are about to have them. I always think that handmade gifts are a lovely keepsake and I like to give them whenever I can.  I’ve made a couple of simple blankets in the past and have liked the way that the basic patchwork ones turn out.

We have a new quilting & yarn shop in the next city over from ours…when I say city, it makes it seem like a good old distance to drive but Fairhope is only 10 minutes from where we live.  It has a beautiful downtown area with lots of little independent stores that we like to support.  In The Making opened a few months ago and I believe they have a store open in Birmingham, Alabama also.

Untitled

Untitled

Continue reading “Quick Quilts For Babies”

Simplicity 8304 – View D – 2 Versions

When I made my #2018makenine plans earlier on in the year, they contained baby clothes.  Yep, that’s right…baby clothes for my baby.  Quite often I still think that it’s crazy that I’ve got the opportunity to make clothes for MY baby.  Well, Rosie is now 8 months old and apart from a couple of accessories, I’ve actually only made 2 clothing items for her.  We were given the Simplicity 8304 Baby Gear pattern as a gift and I loved the little dresses so much.  I decided that this would be my first venture into sewing for Rosie!

Untitled
Continue reading “Simplicity 8304 – View D – 2 Versions”

Sew Over It Blossom Dress

The Sew Over It Blossom pattern was gifted to me recently by Camilla and I knew that I wanted to include it in my #2018MakeNine plans.

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 6.07.57 PM

The first step in production was to get the pattern and instructions printed off as this is a PDF pattern.  I always prefer to have a paper copy of instructions to flick through as I’m sewing.  When printing the actual pattern though, I came across my first problem.  I had downloaded the file for US size letter paper.  Paper in the US isn’t A4 like in the UK…crazy!  Anyway, I could not get the test square to print the size it needed to be.  It was either at least 0.5 cm over or 1cm under, and I tried at least 8 different printing options.  I ended up just going for the setting that was the closest measurement but it was a little bigger than it needed to be.

Untitled

Continue reading “Sew Over It Blossom Dress”

My #2018MakeNine Plans + Youtube Vlog

Last year I meant to get involved with Make Nine but completely forgot to put them together. Probably for the best really as I hardly sewed a thing. As I’ve got more time this year, I decided to give the #2018MakeNine a go. I do love this idea and I think it originally stemmed from Rochelle over at the Lucky Lucille/Home Row Fibre Co, whose blog I’ve been following for quite a while now. If you haven’t read it already, her blog post outlines the challenge really well and has some great questions to help you decide what you would like to make. I like the idea of the challenge as it holds me accountable and gives me a rough plan for the year. I also like that it’s not set in stone either. My plans may change or I may even make more, but for now it gives me a plan to follow.

Untitled
Continue reading “My #2018MakeNine Plans + Youtube Vlog”

Bibs & Burp Cloths

A little while ago I shared some of my plans for baby related sewing projects. I had planned on trying to get at least one of each made before Rosie arrived but that didn’t quite go to plan with me being put on bedrest. Even though I started with the simplest make in terms of skill, I couldn’t sit at the sewing machine for any longer than 20 minutes at a time so it took me quite a while to make 6 sets.

I wanted to experiment with different fabric weight combinations and had a bunch of suitable fabric to test out. I had simple cotton flannel,  terry knit jersey & polar fleece.

I used this pattern for the burp cloths and this one for the bibs. I had also read a few other tutorials to give me an idea of what fabrics would be the best for absorbency. I decided to pair 2 pieces of cotton flannel together and also flannel with a layer of quilting batting & jersey. I also combined the fleece with cotton flannel.

The construction was quite simple for both and I would definitely recommend both patterns if you are a sewing newbie. These were sewn right sides together, turned the right way round and then top stitched.  Before turning, I used pinking shears to trim the seam allowance down. On the thickest set I trimmed the seam allowances differently on each fabric to reduce the bulk when they were turned the right way around.

Untitled
Continue reading “Bibs & Burp Cloths”