Last week, I blogged about some shorts that I had made up for a class, and of course for Rosie to wear afterwards. Now here in South Alabama, monogramming, embroidery and matching outfits are everything, and us being from the UK, tend to throw on whatever slightly matches and we’ll call it an outfit. Well, these shorts were just calling out to be made into matching sets and I really wanted to try some basic machine appliqué as I hadn’t done it for such a long time!
I bought some blank t-shirts for Rosie from a local boutique. These were a purchase where I thought that I could have probably made them but I just didn’t have the time to find the perfect t-shirt fabric, and wanted these to be completed in an afternoon. I want to show you how I created my appliqué designs on my regular sewing machine.
I started off by gathering my supplies. I printed my appliqué template shapes onto normal paper and pinned them to my transfer paper. The one I used was Pellon 805 Wonder-Under. I cut my shape out of the transfer paper.
I then placed my transfer paper onto my fabric. I made sure that the paper side was facing me and the adhesive side was on the fabric.
Using a low iron, I pressed over the transfer paper. This allows the adhesive to stick to the fabric and the paper stays on the template.
I then cut around my template so that I had my appliqué shape.
The paper part of the transfer paper then peels off, revealing some more adhesive. This is the adhesive that sticks the appliqué shape to the shirt.
I positioned my appliqué shape on the shirt and then used the iron on a low heat to stick it down to the shirt.
I also iron a little bit of stretch interfacing onto the inside of the t-shirt. This will sit behind the appliqué shape and add a tiny bit of extra reinforcement.
I changed my machine stitch to a basic zig zag and carefully stitched around the edge of my shape.
And there you go! The appliqué is nice and secure and matches perfectly with the shorts. I really think that this is a great little method to add something extra to those plain t-shirts. I know that I’ll be making many more of these.
I’ve got a short and sweet blog for you today! I was just looking through my photos for ones to upload and I realized that I didn’t actually take many at all to show the construction of these shorts! I actually chose this Bubbla shorts pattern from The Eli Monster for one of my local sewing classes, but I wanted to make up samples to show during the class. This meant Rosie got some new shorts!
I absolutely love dungarees on children! Though, when I say ‘dungarees’ here in Alabama, no-one knows what I’m on about. They’re called rompers or jumpers here. Crazy. 😛 Anyway, this Kwik Sew pattern is just adorable and it’s one that I just couldn’t wait to make for Rosie. I had acquired a random piece of pink fabric that had dark brown mini polka dots all over it. I actually thought that the fabric was like a baby cord but it really wasn’t. I must have imagined that at some point!
As I was browsing the Fabrciworm sale, I came across this adorable dusky blue lion fabric by Camelot Fabrics and knew that I had to buy some. Luckily, when I’m making clothes for Rosie, they only require about a yard of fabric so I purchased a yard and got to having a think about what I would make with it.
A little while ago, Oliver + S were having some kind of sale where you could buy 10 of their printed patterns for $50. I stocked up on some that would be good for Rosie now and for another few years too. I’d never actually had any of their patterns until I received my order but the first thing that I was impressed by was the quality of the pattern. These are just lovely envelopes. Some of them even have little paper dolls for illustrations which are just the cutest ever.
Camilla, over at Making & Marking, had sent me a few children’s patterns to have a go at sewing up for Rosie. One of them was the Simplicity 2461 dress. The pattern comes with quite a few cute dress styles and there are layering options too. I chose to make View B and actually managed to choose some fabric from my stash that was quite similar to the main dress on the front of the pattern. I’m hoping that I can get some nice white seersucker to make the layered piece at some point too.