New Look 6413 – View C

I had a piece of black crepe type fabric that was next on my list to use.  I knew that I wanted make a dress for work so I needed it to be comfortable and cool.  I took to Facebook and Instagram to vote between the Tilly & The Buttons Bettine, New Look 6413 or Butterick B6205.  It was decided that I should make the New Look 6413, and I actually chose view C.  View C had the shorter sleeves and longer skirt length.

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 2.02.12 PM

Continue reading “New Look 6413 – View C”

Two Cocos…better late than never!

Finally a sewing blog and an overdue one at that!  For Christmas, Camilla bought me the Coco & Bettine patterns.  I had resisted buying them for myself for so long and I really don’t know why, especially now I’ve made them and LOVE them!  This blog post is slightly overdue as I made the first Coco top back in February and my finished my second one in June.

I don’t have a lot of experience with knit fabrics so I was a little apprehensive.  The pattern instructions were so easy to work through and the color pictures made an excellent addition.Untitled

Continue reading “Two Cocos…better late than never!”

My Vintage UFO from 2015

Back at the start of November 2015 I started this dress.  It was supposed to be my final make for the 2015 vintage pledge but I couldn’t quite get it finished in time!

Untitled

It took me a while to get everything done with it.  It was one of those projects where I would make a small amount of progress and then set it to one side.   In December I made a good amount of progress but then it got put to one side again. So finally, at the very start of January 2016 I actually managed to get the dress finished!

Untitled

The dress I decided to make was a combination of view 2 and 3; a sleeveless above the knee dress. The front had a curved seam beneath the bust, which had a bust dart at either end. The large front panel was made up from 2 separate panels joined in the centre.  All front seams were topstitched.

Untitled

The pattern pieces included in this envelope were not matching and they had been not cut very well at all.  So when I came to attach the shoulder seams together, one was considerably larger than the other so I did need to trim the larger one to match the smaller.  I then found that the facing pieces included in the envelope belonged to a different dress completely!  Facings were abandoned and I chose a grey binding from my stash to finish the edges of the neck and arms. I think I just need to add a hook & eye closure to ensure the top of the zip is a little closer together.

Untitled

Untitled

My favourite part of this dress is the belt which adds detail to the back.  I love how the white buttons really make the belt stand out. 🙂

Untitled

Would I make it again?  Probably not.  I don’t really think that this is a flattering style on me, especially as it’s a tad too tight around the tummy area!  I may change my mind when I lose a little weight, otherwise this will be an ‘around the house’ dress. 🙂

 

First Make Of 2016 – Frances Dress

Back in December, Camilla sent me a lovely little parcel for my birthday.  It contained the Green Bee Frances dress pattern and some gorgeous Denyse Schmidt fabric.  Due to having visitors over Christmas, I hardly got any sewing done at all so once my parents had gone home, I was itching to get something made up – I knew this would be the pattern to make up first!

Untitled

Continue reading “First Make Of 2016 – Frances Dress”

I did it! I Made Trousers :-)

Trousers have been on my ‘take make’ list for a while and I had been putting off making them for a while too.  A few weeks ago, I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.  My pattern of choice was the Cigarette Pant pattern from the Gertie Sews Vintage Casual book.

As usual, before making a garment, I tend to research it online to see if there are any fitting issues and tips for construction.  With this pattern, I only managed to find 3 bloggers who had reviewed them – there were a lot of reviews for the Butterick 5895’s, which were designed by Gertie…but these were different form the ones in the book so I didn’t really want to take note of those fitting issues as they were not the same trousers!

Gertie Pants

Continue reading “I did it! I Made Trousers :-)”

Bonnell Dresses: My First Pattern Alterations

Bonnell dresses

Just over a month ago, I made my first Bonnell dress from Dixie DIY.  I knew that this was the dress I was going to make for my Art Gallery Fabric project so I really wanted to make the fit of the dress perfect.  For the very first dress, I used a pink & green floral cotton with a plain purple cotton lining.  I shortened the bodice pattern by 1 inch as I’ve now gathered that I need to do this for most dress bodices.  The rest of the pattern was cut out in a size 10.

Bonnell dresses

Continue reading “Bonnell Dresses: My First Pattern Alterations”