When I made my #2018makenine plans earlier on in the year, they contained baby clothes. Yep, that’s right…baby clothes for my baby. Quite often I still think that it’s crazy that I’ve got the opportunity to make clothes for MY baby. Well, Rosie is now 8 months old and apart from a couple of accessories, I’ve actually only made 2 clothing items for her. We were given the Simplicity 8304 Baby Gear pattern as a gift and I loved the little dresses so much. I decided that this would be my first venture into sewing for Rosie!
The first step in production was to get the pattern and instructions printed off as this is a PDF pattern. I always prefer to have a paper copy of instructions to flick through as I’m sewing. When printing the actual pattern though, I came across my first problem. I had downloaded the file for US size letter paper. Paper in the US isn’t A4 like in the UK…crazy! Anyway, I could not get the test square to print the size it needed to be. It was either at least 0.5 cm over or 1cm under, and I tried at least 8 different printing options. I ended up just going for the setting that was the closest measurement but it was a little bigger than it needed to be.
A couple of weeks ago we had a Sunday at home as it was a little rainy. This is my first ‘proper’ vlog. I’ve shared a Gap haul, showed Rosie’s closet and talked about how I made some aprons. I need some baby monitor recommendations too. Enjoy!
Last year I meant to get involved with Make Nine but completely forgot to put them together. Probably for the best really as I hardly sewed a thing. As I’ve got more time this year, I decided to give the #2018MakeNine a go. I do love this idea and I think it originally stemmed from Rochelle over at the Lucky Lucille/Home Row Fibre Co, whose blog I’ve been following for quite a while now. If you haven’t read it already, her blog post outlines the challenge really well and has some great questions to help you decide what you would like to make. I like the idea of the challenge as it holds me accountable and gives me a rough plan for the year. I also like that it’s not set in stone either. My plans may change or I may even make more, but for now it gives me a plan to follow.
A little while ago I shared some of my plans for baby related sewing projects. I had planned on trying to get at least one of each made before Rosie arrived but that didn’t quite go to plan with me being put on bedrest. Even though I started with the simplest make in terms of skill, I couldn’t sit at the sewing machine for any longer than 20 minutes at a time so it took me quite a while to make 6 sets.
I wanted to experiment with different fabric weight combinations and had a bunch of suitable fabric to test out. I had simple cotton flannel, terry knit jersey & polar fleece.
I used this pattern for the burp cloths and this one for the bibs. I had also read a few other tutorials to give me an idea of what fabrics would be the best for absorbency. I decided to pair 2 pieces of cotton flannel together and also flannel with a layer of quilting batting & jersey. I also combined the fleece with cotton flannel.
The construction was quite simple for both and I would definitely recommend both patterns if you are a sewing newbie. These were sewn right sides together, turned the right way round and then top stitched. Before turning, I used pinking shears to trim the seam allowance down. On the thickest set I trimmed the seam allowances differently on each fabric to reduce the bulk when they were turned the right way around.
Happy New Year to everyone!
2017 ended a little differently for us this year as we became parents! At the end of October I was put on bedrest & given some medication to keep Rosie cooking for a little while longer. Once I came off the medication, she decided to come 2 weeks early and was born on the 20th November. She is just so precious and we are absolutely loving every moment with her…even the sleepless nights…sort of!