The Ella Hepburn Combo

When the challenges were announced for June, I told myself that I would only be entering the first week’s dress challenge as I didn’t own any other Indie patterns.  Well…after completing the first challenge, I just couldn’t resist entering the separates challenge too!!  I didn’t have the time to order paper pattern so I took the plunge with ordering a couple of pdf patterns for the first time.

I’ve never been great at matching separates, especially skirts, so I wanted to stay away from making another skirt that would just sit in my wardrobe.  I quite fancied a pair of shorts in the hope that I would be able to wear them more.

I then talked myself out of taking part as the only fabrics I had in my stash were 3 yard lengths, which I had bought for dresses.  I didn’t really want to be cutting into them for smaller items and they didn’t match at all so I couldn’t really make a top with one of the fabrics and shorts with another…they just wouldn’t have looked like an outfit at all!  After spilling my dilemma to Camilla, she suggested that I made both items out of the SAME fabric (bought at $1.60 a yard from Joanns!) to have a jumpsuit effect!

So the search for patterns was back on and I headed over to Indiesew to browse their selection.  I ended up choosing the Ella Top by Liola Patterns and the Hepburn Shorts by The Pattern Emporium.

Liola Ella Top & Hepburn Short

A Lovely Make

After deciding that I want more tops for my wardrobe, I set out making view C of the 1810.  I chose a silky polyester type material… I know…all of my current fabrics are some sort of silky polyester!  This pattern appealed to me because it’s the style of top (& dress) that I like to wear – not figure hugging but drawn in at the waist.


Another view, Another Favourite!

My last make was the 1589a top with the peep hole back. Even though I have since altered the straps slightly, I really like the fit and style of it. I’m after a few tops that are light and not too long, allowing me to wear them with jeans, skirts or shorts. As the fit was nice and the top itself was relatively easy to make, I decided on giving view B a shot last week.