Gertie Sews Vintage Casual – Zip Front Dress

Untitled

This dress has been on my list to make for a LONG time! I put it on my Make Nine plans for last year and just got round to sewing it up a couple of days before 2018 ended. I had always known which fabric I wanted to use for it too so that made it slightly easier to get motivated for it.

Untitled

Catching Up! Sew Over It Eve Dress

Untitled

Another catch up blog post for a garment I made a few months ago!  I’m having to make do with garment photos as they are as I haven’t had the time to take any photos with me wearing the garments!  Ooops!

One of the dresses in my #2018MakeNine plans was the Sew Over It Eve dress.  I chose this dress to make as it looks quite flattering and has a wrap bodice that would possibly work easily with nursing Rosie.  For the bodice/ sleeves I used the pattern for version 1 and used the straight skirt pattern from version 2. I had a nice light cotton in my stash, which I believe was from Joanns…probably from the clearance section too.  It’s a great breathable fabric for the hot weather we have over here.

Untitled

Bibs & Burp Cloths

A little while ago I shared some of my plans for baby related sewing projects. I had planned on trying to get at least one of each made before Rosie arrived but that didn’t quite go to plan with me being put on bedrest. Even though I started with the simplest make in terms of skill, I couldn’t sit at the sewing machine for any longer than 20 minutes at a time so it took me quite a while to make 6 sets.

I wanted to experiment with different fabric weight combinations and had a bunch of suitable fabric to test out. I had simple cotton flannel,  terry knit jersey & polar fleece.

I used this pattern for the burp cloths and this one for the bibs. I had also read a few other tutorials to give me an idea of what fabrics would be the best for absorbency. I decided to pair 2 pieces of cotton flannel together and also flannel with a layer of quilting batting & jersey. I also combined the fleece with cotton flannel.

The construction was quite simple for both and I would definitely recommend both patterns if you are a sewing newbie. These were sewn right sides together, turned the right way round and then top stitched.  Before turning, I used pinking shears to trim the seam allowance down. On the thickest set I trimmed the seam allowances differently on each fabric to reduce the bulk when they were turned the right way around.

Untitled