At the start of 2018, I joined in with the #2018makenine challenge for the first time. I tried to include a variety of makes and a little something for everyone in the house. I also wanted to make sure that I picked my projects from a variety of sources; paper patterns, pattern books, PDFs & free online patterns.
Continue reading “2018 Make Nine Round Up”
Trousers have been on my ‘take make’ list for a while and I had been putting off making them for a while too. A few weeks ago, I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. My pattern of choice was the Cigarette Pant pattern from the Gertie Sews Vintage Casual book.
As usual, before making a garment, I tend to research it online to see if there are any fitting issues and tips for construction. With this pattern, I only managed to find 3 bloggers who had reviewed them – there were a lot of reviews for the Butterick 5895’s, which were designed by Gertie…but these were different form the ones in the book so I didn’t really want to take note of those fitting issues as they were not the same trousers!
Continue reading “I did it! I Made Trousers :-)”
Well, it’s been a hot one here this week. I’m so desperate for cooler weather, Autumn leaves and pumpkins. I’ve not actually been that busy this week…and when we did go out, I completely forgot to take photographs! Doh! This week I’ve only got 6 fumbled together pics.
1. I was very eager to get my first pair of trousers made. I really like them! I will do better pictures and a thorough run through for a blog post soon.
Continue reading “Sunday Sevens #54”
A new favourite! I am in love with this dress! So in love, I’m already planning my second 😀
I had bought the cotton madras a while ago with this project in mind. I actually wanted to make it for the TMS’s July ‘Check It Out’ challenge but despite my plans, I didn’t make it until August! The fabric is so light and is just lovely.
The instructions were fairly straight forward and the dress came quickly. The collar and neckline was a bit a teeny bit fiddly but believe me, it’s worth it! I’m really impressed with the finish of the collar. I did have to tack the facings down a little but that’s my personal preference; it makes for easier wearing. 🙂 I chose to make it sleeveless and just faced the armholes with a bias tape that was in my stash. I do think that I need to take them in a little more, maybe hem them another 1/2 inch. They seem to be a little big around the arms and flap too much in the wind. 🙂
The only puzzle I had with this was with the seam on the neckline – I knew I needed to finish the seam and I knew I needed to clim the seam but finishing was not included in the instructions. I wasn’t sure what to do so decided to clip and then finish, which turned out to be tricky. Should I have left the finishing & not overlocked? I thought about that but then worried that it might fray once washed?! Any alternatives would be appreciated!
So here’s the finished dress, on an outing to a local park. It was so comfortable to wear! I was trying to spot an alligator but didn’t find any. 😦 Maybe next time!
Continue reading “Gertie Wraps Up!”
I received the Gertie Sews Vintage Casual book for Christmas last year. I’ve often picked it up and browsed the pages, but I’ve always put it back down again. I think I was a little scared as I originally thought the instructions were a little vague and the instructional pictures didn’t show ‘real’ fabric! I had talked myself into getting a little more sewing experience before making anything out of the book.
Continue reading “Shifting Along with Gertie”
Back at the start of June, I set myself a few goals to try and reach within the month. This was after reading a similar post from Handmade by Hannah. I actually really enjoyed having goals/ targets for the month as it spurred me on to complete things a little more than usual. So for July, I’m going to review the goals I set myself in June and set new ones for this month. 🙂 Woohoo to goal setting!
I managed to get the Samantha Hayes book finished just in time for the end of the month! Read the review here.
Two garments were created from vintage patterns. The crossover dress & a sleeveless blouse, which still needs to be blogged about! One of the patterns turned out to be a size 24 and even though I could have redrafted the pattern, I couldn’t really be bothered so I didn’t use it. This has made me want to recycle some of my vintage patterns; the ones that I know I won’t be using due to size. If you fancy any of the ones below, let me know and I can post them out … Sharing is caring 🙂
Continue reading “Goals: July 2015”