I can remember seeing this pattern a long time ago, when I had first started to seriously have a go at making my own clothes. The Butterick 6217 pattern has been sitting in my closet for around 4 years! I know I bought it when there was a sale on the McCall’s website. I seem to remember that they do a really good sale every now and again. I don’t think that I paid more than $4 for the pattern. I always thought that this was a beautiful pattern but it was way above my sewing level.
Continue reading “Butterick 6217 – The Gertie Top”
As I was browsing the Fabrciworm sale, I came across this adorable dusky blue lion fabric by Camelot Fabrics and knew that I had to buy some. Luckily, when I’m making clothes for Rosie, they only require about a yard of fabric so I purchased a yard and got to having a think about what I would make with it.
Continue reading “Oliver + S Culottes”
I don’t have that many vintage patterns. They all fit into a little box and I haven’t made them all yet, only about half of my patterns have been made into garments.
Towards the end of 2014, I made these:
Continue reading “My Vintage Pledge for 2016”
Back at the start of November 2015 I started this dress. It was supposed to be my final make for the 2015 vintage pledge but I couldn’t quite get it finished in time!
It took me a while to get everything done with it. It was one of those projects where I would make a small amount of progress and then set it to one side. In December I made a good amount of progress but then it got put to one side again. So finally, at the very start of January 2016 I actually managed to get the dress finished!
The dress I decided to make was a combination of view 2 and 3; a sleeveless above the knee dress. The front had a curved seam beneath the bust, which had a bust dart at either end. The large front panel was made up from 2 separate panels joined in the centre. All front seams were topstitched.
The pattern pieces included in this envelope were not matching and they had been not cut very well at all. So when I came to attach the shoulder seams together, one was considerably larger than the other so I did need to trim the larger one to match the smaller. I then found that the facing pieces included in the envelope belonged to a different dress completely! Facings were abandoned and I chose a grey binding from my stash to finish the edges of the neck and arms. I think I just need to add a hook & eye closure to ensure the top of the zip is a little closer together.
My favourite part of this dress is the belt which adds detail to the back. I love how the white buttons really make the belt stand out. 🙂
Would I make it again? Probably not. I don’t really think that this is a flattering style on me, especially as it’s a tad too tight around the tummy area! I may change my mind when I lose a little weight, otherwise this will be an ‘around the house’ dress. 🙂
I received the Gertie Sews Vintage Casual book for Christmas last year. I’ve often picked it up and browsed the pages, but I’ve always put it back down again. I think I was a little scared as I originally thought the instructions were a little vague and the instructional pictures didn’t show ‘real’ fabric! I had talked myself into getting a little more sewing experience before making anything out of the book.
Continue reading “Shifting Along with Gertie”
The Cynthia Rowley 1873 was one of my target makes for June. I set up a little Facebook group for a few other bloggers who also wanted to sew this garment and it was great to sew along with them. Sharing fabric ideas, progress and sewing tips was lovely to do and it was nice to be able to share certain things before actually writing the proper blog post.
Continue reading “Cynthia Rowley 1873”