My Vintage UFO from 2015

Back at the start of November 2015 I started this dress.  It was supposed to be my final make for the 2015 vintage pledge but I couldn’t quite get it finished in time!

Untitled

It took me a while to get everything done with it.  It was one of those projects where I would make a small amount of progress and then set it to one side.   In December I made a good amount of progress but then it got put to one side again. So finally, at the very start of January 2016 I actually managed to get the dress finished!

Untitled

The dress I decided to make was a combination of view 2 and 3; a sleeveless above the knee dress. The front had a curved seam beneath the bust, which had a bust dart at either end. The large front panel was made up from 2 separate panels joined in the centre.  All front seams were topstitched.

Untitled

The pattern pieces included in this envelope were not matching and they had been not cut very well at all.  So when I came to attach the shoulder seams together, one was considerably larger than the other so I did need to trim the larger one to match the smaller.  I then found that the facing pieces included in the envelope belonged to a different dress completely!  Facings were abandoned and I chose a grey binding from my stash to finish the edges of the neck and arms. I think I just need to add a hook & eye closure to ensure the top of the zip is a little closer together.

Untitled

Untitled

My favourite part of this dress is the belt which adds detail to the back.  I love how the white buttons really make the belt stand out. 🙂

Untitled

Would I make it again?  Probably not.  I don’t really think that this is a flattering style on me, especially as it’s a tad too tight around the tummy area!  I may change my mind when I lose a little weight, otherwise this will be an ‘around the house’ dress. 🙂

 

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “My Vintage UFO from 2015

  1. I love this fabric. You did a great job on the arm and neck bindings. I hope that you will come to enjoy wearing your dress soon. I have a few makes that waiting for body adjustments as well. Don’t you love old patterns. I may have worn that pattern when I was younger. I can’t get over the price. Can you imagine?

    1. I’m actually preferring bias tape as I always have problems with the facings poking out – especially with sleeveless dresses! My favourite is when the bias tape is made from the main fabric 😀

      1. Have you ever tried stitching in the ditch along shoulder seams to help secure neckline facings? I think main fabric AND contrast bias tape can both look really effective 😊

    1. Thank you – I almost put a couple of full dress pictures on the post but due to fabric being so busy, the detail was very difficult to see; hence why I chose to stick to closeups 🙂

Let me know what you think...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s