I don’t have that many vintage patterns. They all fit into a little box and I haven’t made them all yet, only about half of my patterns have been made into garments.
Towards the end of 2014, I made these:
Back at the start of November 2015 I started this dress. It was supposed to be my final make for the 2015 vintage pledge but I couldn’t quite get it finished in time!
It took me a while to get everything done with it. It was one of those projects where I would make a small amount of progress and then set it to one side. In December I made a good amount of progress but then it got put to one side again. So finally, at the very start of January 2016 I actually managed to get the dress finished!
The dress I decided to make was a combination of view 2 and 3; a sleeveless above the knee dress. The front had a curved seam beneath the bust, which had a bust dart at either end. The large front panel was made up from 2 separate panels joined in the centre. All front seams were topstitched.
The pattern pieces included in this envelope were not matching and they had been not cut very well at all. So when I came to attach the shoulder seams together, one was considerably larger than the other so I did need to trim the larger one to match the smaller. I then found that the facing pieces included in the envelope belonged to a different dress completely! Facings were abandoned and I chose a grey binding from my stash to finish the edges of the neck and arms. I think I just need to add a hook & eye closure to ensure the top of the zip is a little closer together.
My favourite part of this dress is the belt which adds detail to the back. I love how the white buttons really make the belt stand out. 🙂
Would I make it again? Probably not. I don’t really think that this is a flattering style on me, especially as it’s a tad too tight around the tummy area! I may change my mind when I lose a little weight, otherwise this will be an ‘around the house’ dress. 🙂
Well, I’m very late to the party with my Sunday Sevens for this week! We have just got in after collecting Adam’s parents from the airport so the last couple of days have been busy, busy, busy!! I apologise in advance for any comments, replies or Pinterest pins that may be late 🙂
Here are my seven photos from last week:
1/2. Target has up’ed their game with their dollar spot area. It was so much easier to find nice things when I visited this week; I couldn’t resist these doggy jumpers for $3 each! As you can see, Maisy is still working out whether or not she likes to wear them.
I am slowly working my way through my stash of vintage patterns; I haven’t got many but I have enough to be able to pick one to sew every now and again. I chose this McCall’s 5597 pattern as I liked the look of view F – a simple blouse to wear with shorts or skirts during the Summer. As this pattern was printed in 1977, it also counts as my third make for the 2015 Vintage Pattern Pledge.
Back at the start of June, I set myself a few goals to try and reach within the month. This was after reading a similar post from Handmade by Hannah. I actually really enjoyed having goals/ targets for the month as it spurred me on to complete things a little more than usual. So for July, I’m going to review the goals I set myself in June and set new ones for this month. 🙂 Woohoo to goal setting!
I managed to get the Samantha Hayes book finished just in time for the end of the month! Read the review here.
Two garments were created from vintage patterns. The crossover dress & a sleeveless blouse, which still needs to be blogged about! One of the patterns turned out to be a size 24 and even though I could have redrafted the pattern, I couldn’t really be bothered so I didn’t use it. This has made me want to recycle some of my vintage patterns; the ones that I know I won’t be using due to size. If you fancy any of the ones below, let me know and I can post them out … Sharing is caring 🙂