Once again, I’m trying to be a little more consistent with the blog. I just have so much to share so these blogs are going to be short and sweet for now! I’m getting on a regular rotation with building the stock that I am listing online so I have a few newer things to show you.
Fabric-wise, I have a bunch of newer cottons. I recently got the Perennial Collection by Cassidy Demkov for Cloud9 Fabrics in and it is GORGEOUS! The vintage florals are just so perfect. The whole collection works so well together and I’ve added a few ideas to my own make list using these fabrics.
I also managed to get hold of some of the Robert Kaufman 1/4″ Carolina Gingham in a few Spring colors. Now the lavender and green sold out pretty quickly but I do still have a little bit of periwinkle blue, candy pink and yellow in stock.
I’ve still got to list them online but I did get some Dear Stella Pirate prints, and a nice collection of cotton flannels in. You can shop them on my Instagram and in my Facebook VIP group, and maybe shortly after this blog goes live, they will be online for you too! We’ll see!
There are a few different ways to shop the fabrics and stock that I have in. Obviously, there’s this Threads + Bobbins shop site but I have learnt over the last couple of months that some people prefer other ways to shop. I have just started a private Facebook group, where you can browse what I have in stock and comment or send me a message with what you would like to order. I do tend to put all of my new fabrics there first because it doesn’t take me as long to list them. Same with Instagram. There’s a highlight specifically for shopping fabrics. AND I also very recently started an Etsy shop. So there’s lots of links there for you…let me know your preferred method to shop!
Just a quick thanks to those who do keep going back to look at my blog and order fabric from me! I really appreciate it! Keep checking back for updates, and I’ll be sharing some newer makes with you soon too.
Trousers have been on my ‘take make’ list for a while and I had been putting off making them for a while too. A few weeks ago, I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. My pattern of choice was the Cigarette Pant pattern from the Gertie Sews Vintage Casual book.
As usual, before making a garment, I tend to research it online to see if there are any fitting issues and tips for construction. With this pattern, I only managed to find 3 bloggers who had reviewed them – there were a lot of reviews for the Butterick 5895’s, which were designed by Gertie…but these were different form the ones in the book so I didn’t really want to take note of those fitting issues as they were not the same trousers!
Just over a month ago, I made my first Bonnell dress from Dixie DIY. I knew that this was the dress I was going to make for my Art Gallery Fabric project so I really wanted to make the fit of the dress perfect. For the very first dress, I used a pink & green floral cotton with a plain purple cotton lining. I shortened the bodice pattern by 1 inch as I’ve now gathered that I need to do this for most dress bodices. The rest of the pattern was cut out in a size 10.
After the success of my first jumpsuit, I was ready to make another quickly. I had also bought one in a sale, so I had 2 in my wardrobe! The third one was to be the New Look 6373 View B; a jumpsuit with shorts, a flounce around the neckline and a button closure at the back.
This may be one of those posts that I meant to write 2 weeks ago and then forgot about it completely! Whoops! This Butterick pattern was one of the ones I bought in a recent sale where all Butterick patterns were $3. I’ve never really worn a jumpsuit before so I was quite looking forward to making this one. I chose view B, the version with the shorts.
One of my favourite garments out of the Love At First Stitch book is the Megan dress. It’s easy to make and it fits me without having to alter anything!
I made two Megans a few months ago, both from thicker fabrics though so they aren’t really suitable for the Summer weather. The first one I made was far too short as a dress so I wear it with skinny jeans. The second one is lovely but has a pucker on the zip and the skirt and bodice didn’t match up so it has an extra pleat. :-/
I had put a cotton Megan on my to make list and finally got around to making it last week. This was my third dress of the week too! When cutting the fabric, I decided that I would like a sleeveless version. I wasn’t quite sure if this would work so I made sure I had just enough fabric for sleeves just incase!
Even though I had traced & cut the Megan pattern before…I had lost it so had to re-trace & cut. This prompted me to label all my traced patterns and put all of them in a place where I know they are. During the tracing process, I also realised that I had traced one of the darts too narrow last time – I had followed the wrong line! This would have been why the skirt and bodice didn’t match! It was an ‘ah-haaa!’ moment!