After making 3 dresses in a week, I was itching to make another to see if I could push myself to 4! 🙂 I looked in my pattern stash and decided to go vintage as I hadn’t done a vintage make for quite a while. I ended up choosing the one that I thought would the quickest make; the New Look Maudella 6517. This one also counts towards my vintage pledge. I can’t find the pattern anywhere online for an actual release date but from looking at other pattern covers and illustrations I think it might be late 70s/ early 80s…which is now classed as vintage isn’t it? If anyone does know when this pattern was made, please let me know!
One of my favourite garments out of the Love At First Stitch book is the Megan dress. It’s easy to make and it fits me without having to alter anything!
I made two Megans a few months ago, both from thicker fabrics though so they aren’t really suitable for the Summer weather. The first one I made was far too short as a dress so I wear it with skinny jeans. The second one is lovely but has a pucker on the zip and the skirt and bodice didn’t match up so it has an extra pleat.
I had put a cotton Megan on my to make list and finally got around to making it last week. This was my third dress of the week too! When cutting the fabric, I decided that I would like a sleeveless version. I wasn’t quite sure if this would work so I made sure I had just enough fabric for sleeves just incase!
Even though I had traced & cut the Megan pattern before…I had lost it so had to re-trace & cut. This prompted me to label all my traced patterns and put all of them in a place where I know they are. During the tracing process, I also realised that I had traced one of the darts too narrow last time – I had followed the wrong line! This would have been why the skirt and bodice didn’t match! It was an ‘ah-haaa!’ moment!
A couple of weeks ago, I made this top – the Simplicity 1810. I will be honest. I have only worn it once since making it and I wasn’t that pleased with it. I always feel that garments need to be worn out of the house (not just for photos either!) for me to get a good feel for them. Is it comfy? Would I wear it again? Do I need to make any changes? I went shopping in the black top and then nipped to the food market and I just found that it wasn’t right. I think the main thing was that it was too hot for 30°C heat with it being quite a tight woven fabric. The length was questioned again as I kept pulling at it all the time, and the neckline was too stiff due to the interfacing. Hhhmmpphh! I’m not throwing the towel in straight away though…I am going to shorten it and save it until the weather is cooler!
Anyway, less about the old…more about the new. I decided to make the longer sleeveless 1810 and chose a light fabric with a swirly border print. I do really like the construction of this pattern. There aren’t many steps and it comes together really quickly. I think it took me an afternoon to make but I had already cut it out the week before.
Over the last 2 weeks, I slowly traced and cut the fabric for 3 different dresses that I had on my ‘to make’ list. I really hate tracing patterns & cutting fabric out so I decided to get this done all at once so that I could just get on with the construction of the dresses when I was ready.
After deciding that I want more tops for my wardrobe, I set out making view C of the 1810. I chose a silky polyester type material… I know…all of my current fabrics are some sort of silky polyester! This pattern appealed to me because it’s the style of top (& dress) that I like to wear – not figure hugging but drawn in at the waist.
This week has been warm! Like very warm! Despite the heat, I managed to get a few things done…thank goodness the air conditioning for keeping the apartment cool. 🙂
1. After deciding where I wanted most of our pictures, they had been leaning against the walls for a while – it was a job that Adam was putting off! I decided to hang them myself and I think I did a pretty good job. These are the ones on one wall in the living room.