Last week it suddenly dawned on me that I gone a full month without sewing! :-0 With our lives being a little hectic, I suppose that I had just let it slip. It’s not a good enough excuse really as sewing is my favourite thing to do more than anything, yet I had let myself get hung up on too many other things and had not really been allowing myself any ‘me’ time! So I decided to set up a sewing station(despite our lack of furniture!) and got productive.
I recently bought a handful of Simplicity patterns while they were on sale for $3.99 over on Pattern Review. I took advantage of this offer as all of the patterns were at least $15 full price. If you haven’t checked out Pattern Review, you should! I always search patterns on there before sewing, mainly to get recommendations for fabrics and to check for any known fitting issues.
I knew that I wanted a relatively quick make that would be easy to put away when it came to cooking that evening. I chose the Simplicity 1589 as it was labelled ‘Easy to Sew’. I really wanted this to be made out of some of my metre fabric cuts but I just couldn’t get it to work on the narrow cuts of fabric. However, I did have just over a metre of a wider thin cotton fabric. I cut a size 12 based on the finished measurements and set off sewing on our little alcove.
The fabric was a cut from eBay that was in my stash back in the UK. Luckily, my Mum brought some of my stash across with her when she came to visit at Christmas. 🙂
The sewing process had a good start and a good finish. The middle part was a bit squiffy! I like patterns to be clear and precise. Most of this one was but when it came to constructing the back, I found that some of the seam allowances were missing so the instruction ‘stitch the seam’ wasn’t so simple. I ended up pinning it with the two seam options available and went with the one that allowed the side seams to match up.
Somehow, I also ended up with a neck facing that was almost 2 inches larger than the actual neckline…I have no idea how this happened! I did a little fold as I had gone past the stage of unpinning and altering the facing. In a perfect little sewing world, where frustration doesn’t present itself, I would have rectified the facing but I didn’t. I will next time though 🙂
The completed top is perfect to wear with jeans or shorts. It’s a lovely top for the Summer; nice and light. I would like to make this using some of drapey fabrics that I have in my stash but I’m not sure how that would go with the amount of pressing that is needed in this make. I find that some of the polyester type fabrics don’t hold the creases when they are pressed. This would make the facings a little tricky. The top is a bit big under my arms but I’m hoping I can alter that for future makes of this top.
After feeling happy with this top, I proceeded to cut out view B and another top from another Simplicity. I’m not sure when these will get made as I have lots of unpacking to do, and a post-surgery puppy to look watch…but I won’t be leaving it as long as a month this time! 🙂
Just as a little extra, I hoping to refine a blog a little more and concentrate on better content. I’ve changed the theme (again!) and I think I’m actually happy with this one. Simple but pretty. Hope you all like it!